Aside from Tagaytay, Laguna is another place to get a quick weekend getaway since it is approximately 2 hours drive from Manila. The province offers a long list of things to do and places to visit, depending on your budget.
We decided to visit Isdaan Floating Restaurant in Calauan, Laguna since it is more than an hour’s drive from our place in Bacoor, Cavite to celebrate my sister’s birthday.
Isdaan Floating Restaurant in Calauan Laguna
It is a Filipino restaurant in a Thailand-inspired setting. They offer alfresco dining in a unique way. This restaurant is under the same owners of Barrio Fiesta, a restaurant famous for its delicious Filipino dishes like Kare-Kare, Sisig, and Crispy Pata. While the food is familiar, the dining setup and the ambiance are very much different.
Going inside, you have to walk along the bamboo pathways above the water. Statues of giant mermaids are on both sides which will make you feel like you are in another country. There are floating cottages and, there are also fixed ones. Every nipa hut has a ceiling fan, tables, and chairs, sizes depend on the number of guests. The place is a recreational park also since they offer fun activities for kids and adults.
Walking around, we saw some life-size images of political leaders, a statue of king kong, a red sitting Buddha image, and a few superhero characters. This restaurant is surprisingly beautiful and, almost every corner is a feast for the eyes.
The restaurant’s danceable classical OPM songs played in the background gave it a happy and relaxing feeling, while the design and style offer a festive ambiance. The bamboo poles and the flowering plants allow an island vibe of the place.
It offers a wide variety of Filipino comfort food, and the choices are unlimited depending on your budget. With a family member of 18, consisting of 14 adults and 4 kids, we ordered a boodle fight Round Set Menu good for 15 persons. It includes bowls of Bulalo soup, Crispy Pata, Crispy Fried Tilapia, Mixed Chicken Pork Adobo, Lechon Tinupig Manok, Lumpiang bukid, pork sisig, spicy shrimps, spicy crabs, Lumpiang gulay, Ginataang gulay na papaya, Tacsiyapong gulay, Tadtad Mangga, Sibuyas at Kamatis, Itlog na Maalat with bagoong, and steamed rice served in small traditional Kaldero. We also ordered Pork Sinigang and Grilled Pork Liempo. All the food tastes good and fulfilling. Special mention to the Tinupig na Manok which was so delicious and aromatic.
Other activities to enjoy:
- Tacsiyapo where you can throw and smash plates and mugs at a wall and shout Tacsiyapo to release your anger and frustrations in life, cost starts from PHP 30 depending on the price of the things your are going to throw.
- Watch and be entertained by the live performances of the cultural dancers. While waiting for our order to come, we enjoyed watching the show since we were seated near the stage.
- Explore the other side of the restaurant with their free boat ride. One of the attractions here is a sitting Buddha statue. The friendly boatman is very accommodating. Giving a tip is discouraged but, any amount will surely be a big help.
- If you want something romantic, let singers serenade you and your loved ones while enjoying your food.
- They gave free cute balloons to the birthday celebrants.
- They have plenty of staff to assist you.
- An Instagram-worthy place.
- Pet-friendly establishment.
- It has a spacious parking area.
- The place is very accessible, located along the highway.
- They do not accept credit cards which is very inconvinient nowadays.
- They do not accept reservation during the weekend.
- Waiting hours is long specially during the weekend.
Location: National Highway, Bay, Laguna
Contact Number: 09512754014
Operating Hours: Mon to Fri 10 am to 8 pmSat Sun Holidays 8 am to 8 pm.
Overall, we had a fun and memorable experience at Isdaan Floating Restaurant in Calauan, Laguna.
Safe travels, everyone!